WRITE DOWN THE HOMEWORK: Finish your “Thank You, M’am” Final Reflection (LONG PARAGRAPH of 7-10 sentences…at least a half written page). It will be collected, so do not write it in your notebook!
TODAY’S GOAL IS TO continue analyzing the short story, “Thank You, M’am”
- Locate your English Handbook and open to page 2 for the homework check.
- While your signature is being checked, open your notebook to the next page.
- Write today’s heading, 9/7 – “Thank You, M’am” discussion.
- Respond to the following prompt: How does Langston Hughes’ poem, “The Dream Keeper” relate to his short story, “Thank You, M’am”? Share (and cite) a detail from the poem and a detail from the story in your response.
Dream Keeper – Langston Hughes
- Bring me all of your dreams, you dreamer,
- Bring me all of your heart melodies
- That I may wrap them in a blue-cloud cloth
- Away from the too-rough fingers of the world.
- Be prepared to provide a story summary detail
- Be prepared to share a vocabulary definition
- Be prepared to share an example of VERNACULAR
- Be prepared to describe either Roger’s or Mrs. Jones’ character
- Add to your notes as needed to make sure your work from yesterday is complete.
INDEPENDENT WORK – Warm-up
5) Analyze the moment when Roger begins to change. Identify the paragraph(s) and explain the details that reveal his change.
INDEPENDENT WORK – Answer questions 6 and 7. Each statement should include a reason that provides evidence from the text.
Your homework is Part 4: Cross out questions 8-15 as a reminder that you do not have to complete them!