WRITE DOWN YOUR HOMEWORK – Core Workout #4 Due Tuesday (notebook responses will be checked!); Castle Learning Practices 8, 9, 10, 11 due Monday.
TODAY’S GOAL IS TO conduct a debate about whether using animals for testing/research for the benefit of humans is right or wrong.
DO NOW – Take out your debate handout and any additional paper you might need.
Warm up: Take 5 minutes to review your strategies and key points with your group. Partner with someone and practice your delivery. Time yourself if you can.
Debate Rules for the Speaker
- You have ONE MINUTEto argue your side.
- Speak only to the person(s) you are paired with.
- STAND as you present your argument.
- You may use notes.
- Strategize your delivery: start strong, but finish stronger.
- Address counterclaim: in round 1, address what you believe to be the opposition’s strongest point; in round 2, directly respond to your opponent.
Debate Rules for the Listener
- SIT as you listen to the argument.
- DO NOT SPEAK.
- Listen only to the person you are paired with.
- DO NOTHING to distract or hinder the presenter.
- Use the DEBATE NOTES section of your handout to write down points as you listen.
- Be prepared to share/discuss what you heard with your team.
Take the next few minutes to complete the rest of your debate handout.